How to File 2012 Taxes in 2017

If you missed filing your taxes for the year 2012, you may be wondering what steps you need to take to rectify the situation in 2017. Filing taxes for a previous year can be a bit more complicated than filing for the current year, but with the right information and guidance, you can successfully file your 2012 taxes. Here is a step-by-step guide to help you through the process:

1. Gather all necessary documents: Start by collecting all the relevant documents for the year 2012, including W-2 forms, 1099s, and any other income or deduction records.

2. Download the correct forms: Visit the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) website and download the tax forms for the year 2012. The most common form used for individual tax returns is Form 1040, but make sure to check if any additional schedules or forms are required for your specific situation.

3. Fill out the forms: Carefully enter all the required information on the tax forms, including your personal details, income, deductions, and credits. Take your time to ensure accuracy and double-check all the calculations.

4. Determine if you owe taxes or are due a refund: Once you have completed the forms, calculate whether you owe any taxes for the year 2012 or if you are eligible for a refund. Use the tax tables or tax software to determine the correct amount.

5. Mail your return: Print out the completed tax forms and mail them to the appropriate IRS address for the year 2012. Make sure to include any required attachments, such as W-2 forms or schedules. It is recommended to send the documents via certified mail to have proof of mailing.

See also  How Are Sars Taxed

6. Pay any taxes owed: If you owe taxes for the year 2012, make sure to include the payment with your tax return. The IRS accepts various payment methods, such as check, money order, or online payment. Be sure to follow the instructions provided by the IRS to ensure proper payment.

7. Wait for confirmation: After mailing your tax return, it can take several weeks or even months for the IRS to process it. You will receive a confirmation once your return has been processed and any refund owed will be issued.

8. Keep a copy for your records: It is crucial to keep a copy of your filed tax return and any supporting documents for your records. This will be helpful in case of any future inquiries or audits.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):

1. Can I e-file my 2012 taxes?
No, e-filing is only available for the current year’s taxes. You must mail your 2012 tax return to the IRS.

2. Can I still claim a refund for the year 2012?
Yes, you can still claim a refund for the year 2012 if you are eligible. However, refunds for prior years can only be received within three years from the original due date of the return.

3. What if I cannot locate my W-2 forms for 2012?
If you do not have your W-2 forms, you can request a Wage and Income Transcript from the IRS to obtain the necessary information.

4. Will I be penalized for filing my 2012 taxes late?
If you are eligible for a refund, there is no penalty for filing late. However, if you owe taxes, penalties and interest may be assessed for the late payment.

See also  Why Did My Tax Return Go Down When I Added Another W2

5. Can I still claim deductions and credits for 2012?
Yes, you can still claim deductions and credits for the year 2012 as long as you meet the eligibility requirements.

6. How long will it take for the IRS to process my 2012 tax return?
Processing times can vary, but it typically takes several weeks to a few months for the IRS to process a mailed tax return.

7. Can I file my state taxes for 2012 along with my federal taxes?
Each state has its own rules and deadlines for filing state tax returns. Check with your state’s tax agency to determine the specific requirements for filing state taxes for the year 2012.

8. What if I cannot afford to pay the taxes I owe for 2012?
If you cannot afford to pay the full amount owed, you can explore options such as setting up a payment plan with the IRS or submitting an offer in compromise to settle your tax debt. Consult with a tax professional for guidance on the best course of action.

Leave a Reply