How to Get a SBR (Short-Barreled Rifle) Tax Stamp in California

If you are a firearm enthusiast and reside in California, you may be interested in owning a Short-Barreled Rifle (SBR). However, before you can legally own one in California, you must obtain a tax stamp, also known as a Tax Paid Transfer (TPT) stamp, from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF). This article will guide you through the process of acquiring an SBR tax stamp in California.

1. Determine eligibility: To be eligible for an SBR tax stamp, you must be at least 21 years old, a U.S. citizen or a legal resident, and not have any felony convictions or restraining orders against you.

2. Choose a trust or individual application: In California, you have the option to apply for an SBR tax stamp as an individual or through a trust. A trust may provide certain advantages, such as allowing multiple trustees to possess and use the SBR without having to transfer ownership.

3. Complete ATF Form 1: Whether you choose an individual or trust application, you need to complete ATF Form 1, which is an Application to Make and Register a Firearm. This form requires your personal information, including your name, address, and fingerprints.

4. Pay the required fee: Along with your application, you must submit a $200 payment for the tax stamp. This fee may be paid by check, money order, or credit card.

5. Submit your application: Once your form and payment are complete, you can submit your application to the ATF. It is recommended to send your application via certified mail with a return receipt to ensure proof of delivery.

See also  How to Contest Property Taxes in Texas

6. Wait for approval: The ATF will review your application, conduct a background check, and evaluate your eligibility for an SBR tax stamp. This process typically takes several months, so patience is required.

7. Collect your tax stamp: If your application is approved, the ATF will issue you a tax stamp, which serves as proof of payment and registration for your SBR. Keep this stamp in a safe place and always have it available when using or transporting your SBR.

8. Enjoy your SBR legally: With your SBR tax stamp in hand, you can now enjoy owning and using your short-barreled rifle in compliance with California law.


1. Can I legally own an SBR in California?
Yes, you can legally own an SBR in California with the appropriate tax stamp and registration.

2. How long does it take to receive an SBR tax stamp?
The processing time for an SBR tax stamp can vary, but it often takes several months.

3. Can I transport my SBR across state lines with the tax stamp?
Yes, with the proper tax stamp and compliance with federal and state laws, you can transport your SBR across state lines.

4. Can I build my own SBR or must I purchase one?
You can either build your own SBR or purchase one, as long as you follow the necessary legal requirements.

5. Is it necessary to use a trust for my SBR application?
Using a trust for your SBR application is not mandatory, but it may provide certain advantages, such as allowing multiple trustees to possess and use the SBR.

See also  35 Dollars an Hour Is How Much a Year After Taxes

6. Can I apply for multiple SBR tax stamps at once?
Yes, you can apply for multiple SBR tax stamps simultaneously by submitting separate Form 1 applications for each firearm.

7. Can I modify an existing firearm into an SBR?
Yes, you can modify an existing firearm to meet the criteria for an SBR, but you must apply for and receive the tax stamp before making any modifications.

8. Can I transfer my SBR to someone else?
If you applied individually, you can transfer the SBR to another individual, but they will need to go through the same application process and receive their own tax stamp. If you applied through a trust, multiple trustees can possess the SBR without transferring ownership.

Leave a Reply