How to Grieve Property Taxes in Nassau County

Property taxes are a significant expense for homeowners in Nassau County, New York. However, if you believe your property’s assessed value is too high, you have the right to grieve your property taxes. Grieving property taxes can potentially result in a reduction in your tax bill, providing some financial relief. Here are the steps to grieve property taxes in Nassau County:

1. Understand the Assessment Process: Familiarize yourself with the assessment process in Nassau County. Assessments are conducted by the Nassau County Department of Assessment, which determines the market value of each property.

2. Review the Assessment: Obtain a copy of your property tax assessment from the Nassau County Department of Assessment or their online portal. Review it carefully to ensure that all the information about your property is accurate, including square footage, number of rooms, and any improvements or changes that may have been made.

3. Gather Evidence: Collect evidence to support your claim that your property is over-assessed. This could include recent appraisals, sales of similar properties in your neighborhood, or any physical issues with your property that may decrease its value.

4. File a Grievance Application: Fill out a grievance application form, which can be obtained from the Nassau County Assessment Review Commission (ARC) or their website. You must submit the application by the deadline, usually in March each year.

5. Provide Supporting Documents: Along with the application, submit any supporting documents that prove your property is over-assessed. Make sure to include copies of recent appraisals, sales data, or any other relevant evidence.

See also  How Many Months of Taxes Are Collected at Closing

6. Attend a Hearing: Once your application is reviewed, you may be called for a hearing with the ARC. Prepare your case and present your evidence to support your claim during the hearing. Be prepared to answer any questions related to your property’s value.

7. Receive the Decision: After the hearing, the ARC will send you a notice of their decision regarding your property tax assessment. If they agree with your claim, they will provide you with a revised assessment.

8. Appeal if Necessary: If you are not satisfied with the ARC’s decision, you have the option to appeal to the New York State Supreme Court within 30 days of receiving the notice. Consult an attorney or tax professional to guide you through the appeals process.


1. Can I grieve my property taxes every year?
Yes, you can grieve your property taxes every year. However, keep in mind that the burden of proof lies with you to demonstrate that your property is over-assessed.

2. How long does the grievance process take?
The grievance process typically takes several months, from filing the application to receiving a decision. It may vary depending on the volume of applications and other factors.

3. Can I grieve if I recently purchased my property?
Yes, you can still grieve your property taxes even if you recently purchased your property. Provide evidence of the purchase price and any subsequent changes that may affect its value.

4. Is there a fee to file a grievance application?
No, there is no fee to file a grievance application in Nassau County.

See also  What Is the Standard Deduction for 2016 Federal Taxes

5. Can I hire a professional to handle my property tax grievance?
Yes, you can hire a professional, such as an attorney or tax consultant, to assist you with your property tax grievance. However, it is not mandatory, and you can handle the process yourself.

6. Will grieving my property taxes affect my future assessments?
Grieving your property taxes should not affect future assessments. Each year, the Department of Assessment reassesses properties independently.

7. Can I still pay my property taxes while the grievance is pending?
Yes, you should continue to pay your property taxes while the grievance is pending. Failure to do so may result in penalties or interest charges.

8. Can I grieve if I live in a condominium or co-op?
Yes, property owners in condominiums or co-ops can also grieve their property taxes. The process may vary slightly, so it is advisable to consult with the relevant association or an attorney familiar with such properties.

Grieving property taxes in Nassau County can potentially lead to a reduction in your tax burden. By understanding the assessment process, gathering evidence, and following the necessary steps, you can navigate the process successfully and potentially save money on your property taxes.

Leave a Reply