Title: IRS Froze My Bank Account: What Can I Do?


Discovering that the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has frozen your bank account can be an overwhelming and distressing experience. The IRS has the authority to freeze bank accounts in cases where an individual or business owes unpaid taxes or has failed to respond to tax-related notices. However, it is essential to understand that there are steps you can take to address this issue and resolve it effectively. In this article, we will explore what you can do if the IRS freezes your bank account.

What to Do if Your Bank Account is Frozen by the IRS:

1. Stay calm and gather information: Contact your bank to confirm the account freeze and gather details regarding the specific reason for the freeze. It may be related to unpaid taxes, tax liens, or other tax-related issues.

2. Review your tax situation: Verify whether you owe any unpaid taxes or if there are any unresolved tax issues. This will help you understand the reason behind the account freeze and prepare for the necessary actions.

3. Communicate with the IRS: Reach out to the IRS immediately to address the issue. Contact the phone number provided on the notice or visit the local IRS office to discuss your situation and seek guidance.

4. Negotiate a payment plan: If you owe unpaid taxes, you can negotiate a payment plan with the IRS. They offer several options, such as installment agreements, which allow you to pay your tax debt over time.

See also  What Is 52000 a Year After Taxes

5. Request a release of the bank levy: If the account freeze is causing severe financial hardship, you can request a release of the bank levy from the IRS. This requires demonstrating the inability to meet basic living expenses with the account frozen.

6. Seek professional assistance: Consider consulting a tax professional or an attorney experienced in tax matters. They can guide you through the process, help negotiate with the IRS, and ensure your rights are protected.

7. Review your rights: Familiarize yourself with your rights as a taxpayer. The IRS is required to follow certain procedures and provide you with due process rights during the collection process.

8. Stay compliant and organized: Ensure that you file your tax returns and pay any taxes owed on time in the future. Maintaining accurate records and keeping track of your tax-related documents will help prevent similar situations from arising.


1. How long can the IRS freeze my bank account?
The IRS can freeze your bank account for up to 21 days. However, they may prolong the freeze if they determine your account is connected to illegal activities or if they need more time to resolve the tax issue.

2. Can the IRS freeze my joint bank account?
Yes, the IRS can freeze a joint bank account if one of the account holders has unpaid taxes or tax-related issues. However, they may release the freeze on the portion of the account belonging to the non-liable spouse.

3. Will the IRS notify me before freezing my account?
In most cases, the IRS will send multiple notices and warnings before freezing your bank account. These notices typically outline the tax issue and provide instructions on how to resolve it.

See also  When Can You File Taxes for 2015

4. Can I continue to use my frozen bank account for essential expenses?
No, once the IRS freezes your bank account, you will not have access to the funds. It is important to address the issue promptly to regain access or negotiate a release of the levy.

5. Can the IRS take all the money in my bank account?
The IRS can freeze the funds in your bank account up to the amount owed in taxes or tax-related debts. However, they must leave a minimum balance to cover basic living expenses.

6. Can the IRS seize my assets other than my bank account?
Yes, if you owe unpaid taxes, the IRS can seize other assets such as real estate, vehicles, or investment accounts to cover the tax debt.

7. Can I sue the IRS for freezing my bank account?
Yes, you have the right to sue the IRS if they violated your legal rights during the account freeze process. Consulting an attorney experienced in tax matters can help determine if you have grounds for a lawsuit.

8. Can I negotiate a reduced settlement amount with the IRS?
In certain cases, the IRS may accept an Offer in Compromise (OIC) to settle your tax debt for less than the full amount owed. However, this option depends on your financial situation and ability to pay.

Leave a Reply