My Boyfriend and I Bought a House Together: How Do We File Taxes?

Buying a house with your significant other can be an exciting and significant milestone in your relationship. However, it also brings about the need to navigate the complexities of tax filing. Understanding how to file taxes as a co-owner of a property is crucial to ensure compliance and maximize potential tax benefits. Here’s a comprehensive guide on how to file taxes when you and your boyfriend have purchased a house together.

1. Are we considered married for tax purposes?
No, unless you’re legally married, you won’t be considered married for tax purposes. However, you may be eligible for certain tax benefits available to co-owners of a property.

2. Should we file jointly or separately?
If you’re unmarried, you’ll need to file your taxes separately. However, you should consult a tax professional to determine the most advantageous filing method for your specific situation.

3. How do we divide tax deductions and credits?
Typically, deductions and credits are divided based on the percentage of ownership in the property. This might be determined by the ownership specified on the deed or the financial contributions made towards the purchase.

4. Can we both claim the mortgage interest deduction?
If you both meet the ownership and residence requirements, you can both claim the mortgage interest deduction. However, the total deduction should not exceed the maximum allowed amount.

5. Are property taxes deductible for both of us?
Yes, property taxes can be deducted by both co-owners. Ensure that you have accurate records of the amounts paid by each of you.

See also  How Do You Avoid NJ Exit Tax

6. What if one of us pays all the mortgage payments?
If one person pays all the mortgage payments, they may claim the entire mortgage interest deduction. However, consult with a tax professional to determine the best approach for your specific circumstances.

7. How do we report rental income if we rent a portion of the house?
If you rent a portion of your house, you must report the rental income and expenses on Schedule E of your tax return. Each co-owner should report their respective portion of the rental income.

8. What happens if we sell the house?
If you sell the house, you may be subject to capital gains tax. As co-owners, you’ll need to report your share of the gain or loss on your tax returns. Consult with a tax advisor to understand your specific tax obligations.


1. Can we deduct home improvements?
Generally, home improvements are not deductible. However, they may increase your cost basis, which can reduce potential capital gains tax when you sell the house.

2. What happens if one of us is claimed as a dependent by someone else?
If one of you is claimed as a dependent by someone else, it may impact your eligibility for certain tax benefits. Consult with a tax professional to determine the best course of action.

3. Can we deduct mortgage insurance premiums?
You may be eligible to deduct mortgage insurance premiums if your income falls within certain limits. Check IRS guidelines or consult a tax advisor for precise details.

4. How do we split the mortgage interest deduction if we have unequal ownership percentages?
The mortgage interest deduction can be divided based on the actual payments made by each co-owner. Ensure you maintain accurate records and consult with a tax professional for guidance.

See also  How to Calculate Documentary Stamp Tax in Florida

5. Are there any tax benefits for first-time homebuyers?
Yes, there are potential tax benefits available for first-time homebuyers, such as the First-Time Homebuyer Credit. Research and consult with a tax advisor to determine eligibility and requirements.

6. Can we deduct home office expenses if we work from home?
If you meet the requirements for a home office deduction, you may be able to deduct a portion of your home expenses related to your workspace. Seek guidance from a tax professional to ensure compliance.

7. How do we report rental income if we rent the entire house?
If you rent the entire house, it would be considered a rental property, and you would report the rental income and expenses on Schedule E of your tax return.

8. Can we claim the homebuyer’s credit if we purchase the house together?
The homebuyer’s credit is no longer available for most taxpayers. However, it’s worth checking with a tax professional to determine if you qualify for any other applicable credits or deductions.

Remember, tax laws can be complex, and the information provided here serves as a general guide. Consult with a qualified tax professional to understand the specific tax implications of buying a house together and to ensure accurate and compliant tax filing.

Leave a Reply