What to Do When You Haven’t Filed Taxes in Years

Filing taxes is an obligation for every taxpayer, and failing to do so can lead to a variety of consequences. If you find yourself in a situation where you haven’t filed your taxes in years, it’s essential to take action immediately to minimize any potential penalties or legal issues. Here are some important steps to follow when you haven’t filed taxes in years:

1. Gather all your financial records: Start by collecting all relevant financial documents, such as W-2s, 1099s, and bank statements, for the years you haven’t filed taxes. Having these records will help you accurately report your income and deductions.

2. Assess your filing status for each year: Determine your filing status for each tax year you missed. This could be single, married filing jointly, married filing separately, or head of household. Your filing status will impact your tax liability and potential refunds.

3. File your tax returns: Utilize the appropriate tax forms for each year you missed and complete them accurately. If you’re unsure about the process, consider seeking professional assistance from a tax advisor or certified public accountant (CPA) who can guide you through the filing process.

4. Pay any outstanding taxes: Calculate the amount of tax owed for each year you didn’t file. Include any penalties and interest that may have accrued. If you are unable to pay the full amount, you can request an installment agreement with the IRS to pay off your tax debt over time.

See also  Where Do Taxes Go

5. Address penalties and interest: Understand that penalties and interest may have been assessed on the unpaid taxes. The IRS can waive certain penalties if you have reasonable cause, such as a serious illness or financial hardship, so consider filing for penalty abatement if applicable.

6. Keep copies of your tax returns: Once you’ve filed your past-due tax returns, make sure to retain copies for your records. This will be important if the IRS or state tax agency requests additional information or if you need to refer to them in the future.

7. Stay compliant moving forward: Establish a system to ensure you meet all future tax obligations, such as setting reminders to file on time and keeping accurate records of your income and expenses. Consider consulting a tax professional for ongoing tax planning and compliance advice.

8. Seek professional assistance if needed: If you feel overwhelmed or uncertain about the process, don’t hesitate to consult with a tax professional. They can provide valuable guidance, help you navigate complex tax issues, and ensure you meet all requirements moving forward.


1. What are the consequences of not filing taxes for several years?

Failure to file taxes can result in penalties, interest, and legal consequences, such as tax liens, wage garnishments, or even criminal charges in extreme cases.

2. Will the IRS contact me if I haven’t filed taxes?

The IRS may initiate contact if they suspect you haven’t filed your tax returns. It’s best to address the issue proactively to avoid further complications.

3. Can I still claim a refund for the years I didn’t file taxes?

See also  How Much Tax per Gallon of Gas

You can only claim a refund for up to three years from the original due date of the tax return. After that, the refund is forfeited.

4. How do I know if I owe taxes for the years I missed?

To determine if you owe taxes, you’ll need to file the corresponding tax returns. The IRS will calculate any taxes owed based on your reported income and deductions.

5. Can I negotiate with the IRS to reduce penalties?

You can request penalty abatement if you have a valid reason for not filing, such as a natural disaster or serious illness. The IRS will evaluate your case and may waive penalties if they deem it appropriate.

6. Will filing my past-due tax returns trigger an audit?

While filing past-due tax returns may increase your chances of being audited, it’s crucial to fulfill your tax obligations. It’s better to rectify the situation than to face potential penalties for non-compliance.

7. Can I face criminal charges for not filing taxes?

In extreme cases of willful tax evasion, criminal charges are possible. However, if you proactively file your past-due returns, the chances of facing criminal charges are significantly reduced.

8. Can I hire a tax professional to file my past-due tax returns?

Yes, hiring a tax professional, such as a CPA or enrolled agent, can provide expertise and ensure accurate filing of your past-due tax returns. They can also assist in resolving any outstanding issues with the IRS.

Leave a Reply